Sunday, January 29, 2012

Simple Concepts well Supported

As many of you know I have been a big follower of progressive inquiry for quite a while. I was first introduced to the approach back in 2006 when I was building some faculty development workshops out at Memorial University of Newfoundland. I needed a framework / approach to legitimize the use of social media for learning. Academics really need a peer-reviewed and academic approach before they will even start listening. So I found progressive inquiry; and when you think about the success of the Finnish education system, I think the Finns must be onto something...


So when my friend Dan Pontefract posted about what he considered a jaw dropping image used by Mitchel Resnick in a talk at the Future of Learning Conference and Festival I was pleasantly surprised by the similarity of the images. It reinforced my belief that progressive inquiry is a model for learning that works well online and off. And at its core learning is a creative endeavour that begins with a persons imaginative initiation to create, to share with others, to reflect, and to keep imagining.


So if you find yourself wanting to learn something new or begin a creative project, begin it! Imagine and create with reckless abandon, play at what you are doing, share with others, reflect and keep imagining and creating. And be rigorous about it, take HUGE risks, play with the humility of it all, engage those who can provide feedback and deepen you understanding, iterate!